Re: [ecasound] transform time to frequency / frequency range analyzation

Subject: Re: [ecasound] transform time to frequency / frequency range analyzation
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 20:22:20 EEST

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Frank Meurer wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to make a FFT or DCT transformation of a sound file?
>
> At the moment no. Sound analysis features have had lower priority as
> there's so much good software already available for Linux, ranging from
> simple fft-analysis performed mp3 players like xmms to big analysis
> packages like Aglaophone, Scilab, Sculptor, etc, etc ... you should also
> check snd (the soundfile editor). It has quite nice fft features. The
> whole big list is available at:
>
> http://www.linuxsound.at/dsp.html
Unfortunately, most if not all of those apps are graphical and therefore
unaccessible to whomever is unable to use X. Actually, ecasound is one of the
very few sound apps accessible from the console, and certainly the most
powerful of them.

> > I have (input) a sound file. I want (output) a frequency analyzation of
> > the whole file or a part of it (with each frequency range of ?-Hz as a
> > statistic mean value of the analyzed time range). The output can be a list
> > of values on stdout or maybe a visualization in ecawave.
That's another point, a lot of those graphical apps aren't really script friendly.