Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 02:26:35 EEST

On Wed, 2 May 2001, S. Massy wrote:

>> Hmm, this sounds good to me. Maybe we should also keep 'c-setpos'...? Like
>> before, it would set the absolute position of all connected inputs and
>> outputs.
> But What'd happen in the case where a given object is connected to
> several chains?

It'll affect the object multiple times... for 'c-setpos' this is not a
problem, but for 'c-fw' and 'c-rw' definitely a bad thing, but at the same
time difficult to avoid.

> I've tried to update the document I had formerly sent when this thread
> started, I did a quick job and I might have skiped a few details but
[...]
>- cop-index-select (yes)
> (TYPO, implemented as "cop-inxed-select")

D'oh! :) Fixed in 2.0.1

> - copp-index-select (yes)
> (Hmm, does it really make sense?)
- ctrl-index-select (yes)
                 (cop/copp/ctrl already use indexing for selection)

Yup, the xxx-index-select and xxx-select do the same thing.

> (cop-bypass would be very useful, especially for front-ends apps
> which could use it to toggle cop's in serie on/off just as
> normal effects.)
> (ctrl-bypass would let one disconnect the controller from its
> target (leaving it to its static value) and then resume the
> dynamic changing of params.)

These are good suggestions... -> added to the todo-list.

> (As I understand it forward is equal to cs-forward right now,
> cs-forward should probably still be here for the sake of
> coherency) (Is that right?)

Yup, for setpos, forward, rewing and getpos, cs-xxx is same as xxx.

> (No position info in the chain itself, right?)

Nope, just in audio objects and chainsetups.

> (get-length == cs-get-length?)
> (Does c-get-length make sense? (as long as the longest
> object connected to it))

Well, could be implemented, but not that necessary. In most practical
cases, cs-get-length and aio-get-length should do the job.

Thanks for writing the summary! This nicely wraps up the EIAM cleanup
project.