Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Sanitizing the IAM?
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 00:48:59 EEST

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > this but, as I said, I got quite confused. Also I had this question:
> > wouldn't it be useful if we could set the position of multiple objects
> > with only a few commands? meaning multiple object selection. But then it
> > wouldn't be much more hassle to do it for inputs and outputs separately.
>
> Although I must admit this would have many uses, I'd still like to keep
> the current selection system as it is. Multiple chain selection is a
> important feature, because it allows inputs/outputs to be connected to
> multiple chains. So with chains, there's a clear need for this feature.
>
> With other objects, it would just be a convenience feature, and something
> that could possibly cause unnecessary confusion (for instance, selectin
> multiple audio inputs and chains and then issuing ai-attach ...).

Well, yeah... There'd be a lot of cases to cover to make it foolproof
and I agree it could become more confusing than anything. Though for
certain things such as multiple object removal of to change the
position of several objects at a time it'd be dead useful.

> >> drop chain-level position commands (c-getpos, c-setpos, etc) altogether.
> >> These seem to just cause confusion. Then we'd have the audio object
> > And I suggest:
> > [chain level]
> > - Query position? no
> > - Set absolute position (setpos)? no
> > - Set relative position of objects (c-fw/rw)? yes
>
> Hmm, this sounds good to me. Maybe we should also keep 'c-setpos'...? Like
> before, it would set the absolute position of all connected inputs and
> outputs.

But What'd happen in the case where a given object is connected to
several chains?

I've tried to update the document I had formerly sent when this thread
started, I did a quick job and I might have skiped a few details but
it should still make things obvious, anyway, I hope it helps. BTW, the
division of aio in ai and ao makes it all so much clearer, IMHO.