Re: [ecasound] examples

Subject: Re: [ecasound] examples
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 16:10:16 EEST

On Fri, 4 May 2001, Anthony wrote:

> It seems to me the examples page is not accurate in the format for
> alsa output. For example,
[...]
> 3.ecasound -i alsa,1,0 -o somefile.wav

True, I'll update the page right away. Here're the new ALSA examples:

--cut--
<li> ecasound -i somefile.mp3 -o alsahw,0,0
<li> ecasound -i somefile.mp3 -o alsaplugin,0,0
<li> ecasound -i somefile.mp3 -o alsa,soundcard_name
The ALSA drivers have a somewhat different option syntax. You
first specify either "alsahw" (to indicate you want use the
ALSA direct hw interface) or "alsaplugin" (for ALSA plugin layer),
and then specify the card number and the device number (optionally
also subdevice can be given). The plugin layer is able to handle
some type conversions automatically. The third option is specific
to ALSA 0.9.x (and newer). 'soundcard_name' must be defined in the
ALSA configuration files (either ~/.asoundrc or the global settings
file). Otherwise ALSA inputs/outputs work just like OSS-devices.
<ol>
<li> ecasound -i:/dev/dsp0 -o somefile.wav
<li> ecasound -i:/dev/dsp0 -o somefile.wav -c
<li> ecasound -i alsahw,1,0 -o somefile.wav
These are simple examples of recording. Notice that when recording
it's often useful to run ecasound in interactive mode (-c).
</ol>
--cut--