Re: [ecasound] Metronome difficulties

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Metronome difficulties
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 03:28:38 EEST

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Nolan Darilek wrote:

> I thought this would produce 8 beeps, since the default metronome
> speed is 120 bpm and I'm recording for 4 seconds. But I get 9 beeps,
> and this confuses me.

Well, 9 is quite close to 8. :) Seriously, even though -t and -tl take
their arguments as seconds, they really operate on buffer level. So
processing is stopped, if after processing a buffer of data, our position
is greater than the one given to -t:x. So the bigger buffer size is used
(-b:bsize_in_frames), the more inaccurate -t and -tl become.

> So I next attempted to do:
> ecasound -i:null -pn:metronome,60.0 -t:4
> Which, IIRC, sets the metronome speed to 60 BPM. The metronome speed
> remains constant, and the BPM doesn't appear to be set. Here is all of

Doh, this was a new bug in 2.0.0-candidate. I managed to introduce it
while fixing other bugs. :( Oh well, it's fixed now in CVS.