Re: [ecasound] A few bugs

Subject: Re: [ecasound] A few bugs
From: Mario Lang (mlang@home.delysid.org)
Date: Tue Apr 03 2001 - 20:23:32 EEST

"S. Massy" <theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org> writes:

> On Tue, 03 Apr 2001, Mario Lang wrote:
>
> > "S. Massy" <theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org> writes:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > - You cannot use "~" in file names to denominate a path relative to
> > > $HOME. There must be a bug at some point while parsing the command
> > > line because you get a "couldn't open file for reading" error. Of
> > > course that's nowhere near dramatic but that's a bit well.... bugging.
> > I could be completely wrong here, but shouldn't the shell
> > take care of the tilde expansion on the command line.
> > Or are you refering to interactive mode?
> You'd normally think so, wouldn't you? Yet using a tilde to make a
> path relative to $HOME works for all other apps I've ever used apart
> from ecasound.
I did a bit of experimenting.
echo -i ~
-i /home/mlang
echo -i:~
-i:~
echo -i:'~'
-i:~
echo -i:"~"
-i:~

So perhaps thats the reason why Kai made -i not require the colon :-).

> Moreover, upon your suggestion, I tried the same in interactive mode and
> I've found out:
> - aio-add-input works fine, selects the file as input object and it shows up
> correctly in aio-list.
> - Chain setup _cannot_ be connected when one of the objects is a filename
> with a tilde in its path.
>
> What could this mean? If the tilde was simply expanded to the value of
> $HOME such problem couldn't be, right?
So the actual input parsing code of iam would need to expand before
any further processing occurs. This is the way the shell tries to
do that.

--
CYa,
   Mario <mlang@delysid.org>