Re: [ecasound] System requirements

Subject: Re: [ecasound] System requirements
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Mar 22 2001 - 03:20:33 EET

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001, Stuart Allen wrote:

> Hello
>
> Having read a few messages on this list, I am starting to realise just how difficult it is to predict how different hardware combinations will perform when recording with ecasound. Having said this, though, I am trying to find out what is likely to be the minimum spec machine that will allow multitrack recording. Also, perhaps somebody may have some advice on settings/ techniques for increasing the chances of success on slow hardware.
Defining the minimum requirements for an app isn't that easy actually, it
really depends what you plan to do both with the system and with ecasound. It
also depends what you mean by "slow", don't expect it to work on a 486
(compiling ecasound would probably take you a day :) ). But it's not actually
so much a question of CPU power as a question of what else will be running at
the same time.