Re: [ecasound] Synchro saga: some background

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Synchro saga: some background
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2001 - 17:15:55 EET

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Roy Cutler wrote:

> To record the drum track I type:
> ecasound -r -i:/dev/dsp0 -o drums.wav
Why are you using OSS emulation? I find it rather quirky still in 0.9.0,
what if you try with ALSA native? Also, you might want to use -z:db here too,
not that I think it to be related to your problem but, oh well, you usually
want the db system on when dealing with non-rt objects.

> I listen back with:
> ecasound drums.wav
> and it sounds good.
>
> To overdub:
> ecasound -b:256 -r -z:db -f:16,2,44100
> > -a:1 -i drums.wav -o /dev/dsp
> > -a:2 -i /dev/dsp -o guitar1.wav
> Still all seems right. I can hear the drums nicely. The guitar is clear and
> in the headphones.
>
> To mix:
> ecasound -a:1 -i drums.wav -a:2 -i guitar1.wav -a:all -o /dev/dsp
> And now the guitar is some odd fraction of a beat behind the drums. This
> occurs both with ALSA and with OSS drivers. It occurs with every reasonable
> buffer size. I have tried buffer sizes for mixing as well, without apparent
> effect.
How big is the delay actually? What if you mix down to file instead of the
soundcard?
If all else fails you could still go in interactive mode with a cs like this:
ecasound -a:1 -i:drums.wav -a:2 guitar1.wav -a:all -o:/dev/dsp -c
and fix the delay using aio-setpos.

> So that's where I am, folks. I built this machine primarily for the purpose
> of doing multi-track recording so I have a big interest in making this work.
> Ecasound seems like a program that I can really use. Thanks for listening.
>
> -Roy

Keep us informed of your success/failures,
S. Massy