Re: [ecasound] Synchro saga: some background

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Synchro saga: some background
From: Teppo Peltonen (tpeltone@cc.hut.fi)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2001 - 01:31:49 EET

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Roy Cutler wrote:
>

> > I listen back with:
> > ecasound drums.wav
> > and it sounds good.
> >
> > To overdub:
> > ecasound -b:256 -r -z:db -f:16,2,44100
> > > -a:1 -i drums.wav -o /dev/dsp
> > > -a:2 -i /dev/dsp -o guitar1.wav

Hello Roy,

I would try to do the recording without the -z:db parameter. For me,
it never worked, but I'm running an older version of ecasound
(v1.8.2r14), so maybe it's better with the newer versions.

Additionally, I would mute the line input monitor and copy the
recorded input to the sound card output during recording like this:

    ecasound -b:256 -r -f:16,2,44100
     -a:1 -i drums.wav
     -a:2,3 -i /dev/dsp -a:2 -o guitar1.wav -a:1,3 -o:/dev/dsp

This way you can hear right away, if the tracks drops out of sync.

Also, make sure that you are running ecasound with super user rights,
because otherwise the -r parameter won't do any good, AFAIK.

Ofcourse, all the usual low-latency stuff applies, as well.

BTW, why do you wan't to specify the format like that? Isn't that the
default?

Teppo

--
Teppo Peltonen tpeltone@cc.hut.fi http://www.hut.fi/u/tpeltone/