Re: [ecasound] Some little ideas

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Some little ideas
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2001 - 05:33:01 EET

On Tue, 06 Mar 2001, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > Command aliasing :: A bit of work in interactive mode with ecasound
> [...]
> > them do. So I've thought maybe an "alias" command would be a good
> > thing for ecasound's interactive mode, here's why:
> [...]
> > Variables :: Another thing that can be awkward sometimes while using
> > ecasound's interactive mode is the handling of numbers. For example,
>
> This is a good idea. There're couple of things worth considering. First,
> how to implement it. As Janne already mentioned, it might be easier to add
> these new features with python (or some other higher level language).
>
> Another important thing is keeping the core engine as compact as possible.
> In other words, it would be best to implement these added services as a
> new layer, which would only be active when using ecasound as a _user_
> interface. I don't think we should slow down ECI apps or other apps using
> libecasound by adding aliasing, etc... Even if we could avoid the
> slowdown, we'd still risk introducing new complexity and/or bugs (although
> bugs are good ;)).

Huh, I had never pictured it to be part of the engine itself, what
advantage could it possibly present? It seems obvious that it
strictly belongs to the user interface, at least I don't see any other
place where aliases or variables could come in handy.

> Anyway, this is an interesting problem. One solution would be to add the
> aliasing functionality to the ecasound console app, ie. not to
> libecasound...
That is _exactly_ what I meant; I was speaking of ways to make the IAM
more enjoyable, not about bloating the API! :)

> So you create ~/ecasound-config directory, and then create the files
> 'effect_presets' and 'generic_oscillators'. If there are duplicate
> definitions, user-specific presets take precedence.
Great: it might seem like a very unimportant feature but it makes
things much more simple, well at least for me.