Re: [ecasound] problems with -kl

Subject: Re: [ecasound] problems with -kl
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 00:35:12 EET

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> I have noticed that if I do:
> ecasound -i file.raw -o file.raw -c
> then
> -ea:2000
[...]
> that works fine
> but -ev if inserted before then seems to produce results that aren't

Hmm, -ev? Either a typo, or then I just don't understand...

> -kl:1:500,1500,10
[...]
> that would raise the first parameter of -ea to 1500 from 500 in 10
> seconds...but...after that, it is no longer possible to cop-set that

Yup, this is a feature. A controller (like -kl) literally takes control of
the target parameter. You can use 'cop-set', but -kl will override your
change right away.

Have you thought about my multiple-chain approach to these on-the-fly
configuration changes? For instance, to do the above, you would have two
chains: a) with -kl, and b) otherwise identical, but without -kl.

These would be mixed to the same output. Now all there's left to do is to
mute the (b) chain while -kl is doing its thing, and then muting (a) +
unmuting (b) when you want to start using 'cop-set'.

Hmm, so basically the same technique as what dj's use. :) You have one
vinyl-player/chain for the online audio, and another one for preparing the
next track.

> value to anything. It also is difficult to remove items with
> cop-remove, it seems only way to fix that is c-clear

Difficult as in "doesn't work", or just "hard to use"?

> c-clear ALSO has the unwanted side-effect of dumping several samples,
> making a HUGE xrun.

This is unavoidable at the moment. Only implementation of 'c-clear' is an
offline version, so when you issue 'c-clear', all processing is stopped,
the actual 'c-clear, and then restart.