Re: [ecasound] delays using real-time w/redhat 7

Subject: Re: [ecasound] delays using real-time w/redhat 7
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Wed Feb 07 2001 - 00:51:03 EET

On Thu, 18 Jan 2001, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> Debian GNU/Linux(sid) with pIII 500, 192MBRAM, and SBAWE and XWAVE master
[...]
> I have never been able to run decently stably with anything more
> than :
[...]
> ecasound -r -b:1024 -a:1 ....
[...]
> And it is, just marginally bearable.

Hmm, have you "tuned" your harddrives? Especially important is enabling
dma-transfers. If dma-mode is disabled (this is quite common), it's
difficult to do any kind of disk streaming (reliably htat is). See Dave
Phillips' latency article at

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/linux/2000/11/17/low_latency.html

... and under the title "How latency can be minimized?".

>> Is anyone really able to work with that low amount of buffersize ?
>> If a LL kernel allows me to do that, I would look into it for sure ;)
>> in fact, I've been looking at the patch in the last hour...

Well, the various low-latency patches and tips really do make a
difference. But it's important to keep in mind, that latency problems
come from various different sources. You have disk-i/o latency,
kernel scheduling latency, hardware level delays, driver/kernel
implementation specific latency, and of course, application level
latency, etc etc ...