Re: [ecasound] MIDI-feature wish-list

Subject: Re: [ecasound] MIDI-feature wish-list
From: Luke Tindall (luke@maths.ex.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Oct 04 2000 - 11:08:49 EEST

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, you wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Luke Tindall wrote:
> > > Being able to play back a midi file would be great. At the moment I do
> > > my
> >
> > Hmm, are there any suitable command-line tools that render midi files
> > into audio data _and_ can output to standard output? This is how ecasound
> > support tracker modules (uses command-line mikmod to render the audio).
>
> timidity++ does that just fine:
> http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/index.html
>
> S. Massy

Except if you are using a synth that has capabilities beyond that of general
midi and mine has onboard effects, filters etc which need sysex data
transmitted via the sequencer. Thanks for the advice though.
What I'm looking for is a way to synch the audio and midi data streams
together with a common timer. jazz++ does this but the audio side is not as
good as ecasound and the playback tends to go out of synch. No I'm better off
recording the output from my synth to a wav until I am able to send the midi
data in synch. I think the sequencer apps have a little bit of catching up to
do and hopefully one will emerge that will work really well with ecasound and
then ..... wow!!!
Finally I must say how much I like ecasound and I'm realy enjoying learning
how to use it.

--
Luke Tindall