Re: [ecasound] metronome/click track

Subject: Re: [ecasound] metronome/click track
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Fri Sep 15 2000 - 18:24:51 EEST

On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Rob Coker wrote:

> I'm planning to use ecasound in a recording project (so is everybody else
> here, right...). I would like to start with a click track to be able to
> monitor while I put down scratch guitar tracks, then a bass line and vocals
> .... Anyway, I didn't see a facility for a metronome or anything like it.
> I had a couple of options for ways to do it, if it hasn't already been done
> and I just am not good enough yet to figure it out. Here they are:
>
> 1. Have a chain with a -em (or similar) with rate for a metronome as a
> primitive effect.
> 2. Have a chain with a sine wave followed by a time-based amplitude effect
> which would be zero except when the metronome was supposed to be clicking.
> The amplitude effect could actually be a tremolo if it had the freedom to
> set duty cycle and rate.
>
> I'd be willing to implement either choice, but am looking to find out if I'm
> reinventing the wheel and also what others would like.

This point has been discussed a while back, if I remember
well. Implementing a metronome facility is at the bottom of Kai's TODO
list. I had suggested that, if implemented, the metronome "click"
could become a unit to move objects around in ecasound (e.g. You could
set a fade-in length in term of clicks just as you do now in term of
seconds; a metronome click being, afterall, a division where
one_click = speed/60)). Kai had said it was possible to do this,
implementing the metronome as an I/O object type, but I don't know if he
thinkered it further. I still agree with you though, a metronome
facility would add greatly to ecasound's attractiveness on the
recording side.