Re: [ecasound] Miscellaneous things concerning ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Miscellaneous things concerning ecasound
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sat Aug 12 2000 - 00:09:40 EEST

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, S. Massy wrote:
>
> > 1) What's happening with nativa ALSA support in current CVS version?
> (mixer), I deciced to wait a while before updating ecasound's ALSA
> support. It's just too much work to keep up with ALSA CVS development,
> when we are still so far away from a stable release.
BTW, the problem is with ALSA5, I stopped using the CVS version
exactly for the reasons you describe.

> > 2) Debug version of CVS version:
> > It seems like the alsa5 support has lagged behind to a point where
> > it's no longer possible to compile a debug-enabled version of ecasound
> > with alsa5 support enabled.
>
> Alsa5 should be up to date (no changes to ALSA 0.5.x as far as I know).
> Can you send me more detailed info?
Seems like the code hasn't been cleaned...

audioio_alsa2.cpp: In method `void ALSA_PCM_DEVICE::open()':
audioio_alsa2.cpp:59: `is_triggered' undeclared (first use this function)
audioio_alsa2.cpp:59: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
audioio_alsa2.cpp:59: for each function it appears in.)
make[3]: *** [audioio_alsa2.lo] Error 1

> > 3) ecatools
> > Does any of the ecatools work for any of you? No matter which one I
> > try they seem to hang on doing nothing, for example:
> > $ ecanormalize test.wav
> > issues back:
> > Analyzing file "test.wav".
> > but then nothing happens and it just hangs there idle.
>
> Hmm, I use them all the time. What does ecanormalize_debug tell you?
tak:/mnt/tmp# ecanormalize_debug test.wav
(eca-controller) Selected chainsetup: "default".
(eca-controller) Added a new chainsetup with name "default".
(eca-controller) Added chains: default.
Analyzing file "test.wav".
(eca-controller) Added audio input "test.wav".
(eca-chainsetup) Setting internal sample rate to: 44100
(eca-controller) Added audio output "/tmp/filepE8L53.wav".
Chainsetup/Enabling audio inputs
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "test.wav", mode "read".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100.
Chainsetup/Enabling audio outputs
(eca-audio-objects) Audio object "/tmp/filepE8L53.wav", mode "read/write".
(audio-io) Format: s16_le, channels 2, srate 44100.
(eca-controller) Connected chainsetup: "default".
Engine/Init - mixmode "simple iactive"

But then nothing happens at all afterward... And I mean NOTHING, I
left it on for a whole night and it hung there... I tried to see what
was going on with gdb but I'm kinda sqweezed with no time these
days. :(

> > 4) Metronome
> > In the TODO list under the title "Implemented if enough requests" is
> > made mention of an integrated metronome; just thought I'd tell out
> > loud that it's a good idea, especially if it was made possible to set
> > the starting of several strams in term of number of beats after the
>
> Ok, I'll start thinking about how this should be implemented. It'll
> probably be a new output-object type.
Great :)