Re: [ecasound] Miscellaneous things concerning ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Miscellaneous things concerning ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 18:12:23 EEST

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, S. Massy wrote:

> 1) What's happening with nativa ALSA support in current CVS version?

Nothing at the moment. When Jaroslav announced the latest API changes
(mixer), I deciced to wait a while before updating ecasound's ALSA
support. It's just too much work to keep up with ALSA CVS development,
when we are still so far away from a stable release.

At the moment I use a combination of an old ALSA CVS version w/
OSS-emulation and the current ecasound CVS for my own recording&mixing
work. And works fine. :)

> 2) Debug version of CVS version:
> It seems like the alsa5 support has lagged behind to a point where
> it's no longer possible to compile a debug-enabled version of ecasound
> with alsa5 support enabled.

Alsa5 should be up to date (no changes to ALSA 0.5.x as far as I know).
Can you send me more detailed info?

> 3) ecatools
> Does any of the ecatools work for any of you? No matter which one I
> try they seem to hang on doing nothing, for example:
> $ ecanormalize test.wav
> issues back:
> Analyzing file "test.wav".
> but then nothing happens and it just hangs there idle.

Hmm, I use them all the time. What does ecanormalize_debug tell you?

> 4) Metronome
> In the TODO list under the title "Implemented if enough requests" is
> made mention of an integrated metronome; just thought I'd tell out
> loud that it's a good idea, especially if it was made possible to set
> the starting of several strams in term of number of beats after the

Ok, I'll start thinking about how this should be implemented. It'll
probably be a new output-object type.

 . http://www.eca.cx/aivastus ... [ aivastus net radio ] /\ .