Re: [ecasound] Why don't ecasound include a distrortion effect?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Why don't ecasound include a distrortion effect?
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Mon Jun 19 2000 - 21:51:03 EEST

WARNING! Effects mentioned in this message are LOUD, so be careful
with that volume. ;)

On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, Lorenzo Lucchini wrote:

> there isn't a distortion/overdrive effect. ecasound is really a wonder
[...]
> distortion, I can't use it to its maximum when I use it to record or
> play my guitar. Anyone knows wether a distortion effect is planned for
> some version of ecasound, or has anyone made some hacking to the

Well, I'm still a bit skeptical about digital distortions. I usually use
my good ol' analog distortion boxes. Just connect a effect pedal between
your soundcards input and output and do something like 'ecasound -a:1 -i
orig-guitar.wav -o /dev/dsp -a:1 /dev/dsp -o fuzzy-guitar.wav'.

But, but, there are ways to cause distortion. One simple way to do it is
to abuse amplify effect. Something like -ea:1000 will give quite a lot of
distortion. Ok, I admit that this sounds pretty bad. You can get slightly
better results by adding a lowpass filter before amplifying..:
'-efl:2000 -ea:500'.

Another approach is to use ecasound's compressors. If you haven't changed
ecasound's default effect presets, you should try '-pn:compress_brutal'.

And of course, if anyone has good algorithms (or LADSPA plugins!),
mail me about it.

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .