Re: [ecasound] splitting ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] splitting ecasound
From: S. Massy (theanaloguekid@tak.net.dhis.org)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 18:35:18 EEST

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Ecasound is getting bigger all the time, and the current binary-rpm is
> starting to be a bit too big. One way to solve this would be to split
> console-related and qt-related stuff in separate packages. Binary packages
> are already separate, so this would only affect the source
> packages. Ecasound, libecasound and ecatools would remain in the current
> source tree, while qtecasound and libqtecasound would have their own dist
> package. Ecawave would continue to be a totally separate app.
>
> Opinions?
Nothing bad about it, it's even good for those of us who don't use the
qt front end, smaller archive. :) If I had one wish thouth it would be
not to see ecasound's console mode wane to the benefit of X.
Actually, ecasound is the only multi-track recording
software available to someone who can't use X.

> PS This might also help people to understand, what ecasound really is.
> Lots of people think that either a) ecasound is just another Qt-app,
> or b) it's just console mode tool for converting sound files. The
> latter one was how a certain Finnish computer magazine described
> ecasound. ;)
Hrm, are you sure it's better then? These people might get confused if
you ask them to compile TWO packages! *grins*
> PPS Ecasound now and then reaches the top-100 list at sourceforge.net! :)
> You can see the list at ...
> http://sourceforge.net/top/toplist.php?type=pageviews_proj
> You won't see ecasound in the other stat pages because
> ecasound's mailing lists and primary file servers are not
> at sourceforge.net ... oh, well, vanity, I know, but I just can't
> help myself. I have to check the latest top-100 listing every day. ;D
Which reminds me of something, Ecasound is NOT well known, if I hadn't
stumbled on your announcement on comp.os.linux.announce some time ago
I probably would have never known about ecasound or would have
discovered it late and I keep myself pretty well informed about the many
progs available. So I can easily see why someone who's not well
informed about what's going on in the linux/free software community
could don't know or have a false idea of ecasound.