Re: [ecasound] splitting ecasound

Subject: Re: [ecasound] splitting ecasound
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 20:18:40 EEST

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, S. Massy wrote:

>> console-related and qt-related stuff in separate packages. Binary packages
> qt front end, smaller archive. :) If I had one wish thouth it would be
> not to see ecasound's console mode wane to the benefit of X.

I can promise you that this will never happen. All ecasound interfaces
(including qtecasound and ecawave) are built on top of the same engine.
These apps basicly use the same interface as you do when you are using
ecasound in console mode. This way all interfaces benefit from
improvements made to libecasound.

>> Lots of people think that either a) ecasound is just another Qt-app,
>> or b) it's just console mode tool for converting sound files. The
> Hrm, are you sure it's better then? These people might get confused if
> you ask them to compile TWO packages! *grins*

Fortunately ecasound's rpm packages are now in quite a good
shape. This helps a bit.

> Which reminds me of something, Ecasound is NOT well known, if I hadn't
> stumbled on your announcement on comp.os.linux.announce some time ago
> I probably would have never known about ecasound or would have

Yep, this is true. Although for me it's the other way around. :) I'm still
quite suprised about how much attention ecasound has received. This is an
old project, but took a long time before I decided to publically release
it. The first GPL'ed version was released 30.06.1999... So ecasound is
still a relatively young project... ;)

BTW; I've now been sampling my drum machine for nearly 45 minutes
     without any problems...

--
Kai Vehmanen <k@eca.cx> ---------------- CS, University of Turku .
 . audio software for linux .. http://www.eca.cx 		 .