Re: [ecasound] I JUST KILLED A HARDRIVE WITH ECASOUND

Subject: Re: [ecasound] I JUST KILLED A HARDRIVE WITH ECASOUND
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith@BITWORKS.COM)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 17:05:27 EEST

On Thu, 25 May 2000 19:45:17 -0400 (EDT), Jeremy Hall wrote:

>DON'T DO THIS AT HOME, IT IS FATAL
>
>MAN, how could this happen?

My gut opinion is that this is a freak coencidence. Perhaps your drive
was getting ready to go south and the stress of all the activity
triggered it.

I doub't is was ecasound that actually did destructive behavior.

You mention that you have the low-latency patches whats the quality
level of these and on which kernel are you running? Were you logged in
as root?

Have you tried booting off of a rescue disk an attempted to mount that
partition? ext2 is fairly robust.. I have had drives that were failing
that I was still able to mount and extract the necessary info.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith@bitworks.com               501.846.5777