Re: [ecasound] I JUST KILLED A HARDRIVE WITH ECASOUND

Subject: Re: [ecasound] I JUST KILLED A HARDRIVE WITH ECASOUND
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@UU.NET)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 20:20:12 EEST

Hi,

In the new year, Richard A. Smith wrote:
> On Thu, 25 May 2000 19:45:17 -0400 (EDT), Jeremy Hall wrote:
>
> >DON'T DO THIS AT HOME, IT IS FATAL
> >
> >MAN, how could this happen?
>
> My gut opinion is that this is a freak coencidence. Perhaps your drive
> was getting ready to go south and the stress of all the activity
> triggered it.
>
> I doub't is was ecasound that actually did destructive behavior.
>
> You mention that you have the low-latency patches whats the quality
> level of these and on which kernel are you running? Were you logged in
> as root?

yes, they can be found at www.gardena.net. (I think) and they are patched
to a 2.2.13 kernel, although intended for 2.2.10. In my quest to fire up
the drive in another computer, I forgot about another caveat and pulled a
cable accidentally off a floppy. The floppy had a bent pin, now I am down
one less floppy.

so let's recap.

My brand-new P-500 was sent back to warrantee because the keys
misteriously began sticking, (it was only a FEW drops of coke) the hard
drive was removed prior to shipment, they wanted to reinstall win98 for me
on it to perform their tests. It is back now, but the hd will not
interface with the computer and so both are sitting in the shop.

Pongo's hd, now dead, is also in the shop in hopes they could do something
with it--the heads do not lock on initial power-up.

Spot's floppy is now dead, it has a bent pin. Pongo's floppy drive is
hanging from the case because I couldn't be bothered with inserting it--I
needed the floppy because when I installed on spot, I neglected to make
sure the root partition was below syl 1024, and somehow lilo never has
worked on it.

so anyway, I have had a rough week.

> Have you tried booting off of a rescue disk an attempted to mount that
> partition? ext2 is fairly robust.. I have had drives that were failing
> that I was still able to mount and extract the necessary info.

well, the drive likely isn't recognized at this point.

_J