Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] future of qtecasound?
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@UU.NET)
Date: Thu May 04 2000 - 14:23:00 EEST

One of the reasons, imho, that people really love ecasound is because it
is feature-rich and delivers what it is supposed to. One of the strong
reasons for this is that people decided the best way to do this is build
the necessary tools so that the required features could be there, then
later if somebody wanted the gui they could buid it. Many projects get
hung up on "needed" vs "likeable" things.

I suppose one could argue that a GUI is needed for the program to function
correctly, I am not one of those people since the GUI will slow down the
processing power of ecasound. (not to mention I don't use the gui)

If the question is whether to develop more functional or gui features,
there's a toss up. To evaluate it, you have to decide whether the user
will be willing to use ecasound's console interface to benefit from the
features, or whether the gui will attract more developers and thus both
would happen. It really depends on the community you're trying to reach
and their preferences.

just my $.02

_J