Re: [ecasound] drum machines for linux

Subject: Re: [ecasound] drum machines for linux
From: Kai Vehmanen (k@eca.cx)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 16:16:49 EET

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000 brad@worldofbeverage.net wrote:

> firstly, i apologize if you have received a similar mail from me last week. i
> sent one to this list, and it never bounced or was posted so i guess it just
> fell into a bit bucket on the way to .fi

Yes, it seems that my majordomo server has lost some mails. It's a fast
system based on postfix+majordomo combination, but unfortunately it still
suffers from some hardware problems. Oh well, if you are uncertain, you
can always check the list web archives (always up-to-date) at ...

http://www.wakkanet.fi/~kaiv/ecasound/ecasound-list/current/

> anyway, i no longer have access to an external drum machine, and was wondering
> what tools are out there? the last time i checked freshmeat and friends for one
> i couldn't find reasonable odd time support. most of what i write is in odd
> times, and need this.

Have you checked ...

http://www.bright.net/~dlphilp/linuxsound/drum.html

... At least GreenBox is/was a interesting project. I don't know
whether this project is still alive. Anyway, it should offer a good
starting point. Adding support for odd times shouldn't be that difficult.
One of the newer software drumboxes is tk707 (ALSA sequencer API).
See ALSA's applications page at http://www.alsa-project.org ...

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing