[ecasound] tracking with ecasound 1.6.12

Subject: [ecasound] tracking with ecasound 1.6.12
From: Neil E. Klepeis (nklepeis@uclink4.berkeley.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 10:12:28 EET

Greetings,

I have a few ecasound-related questions/problems:

1. Is it possible from within ecasound to direct the left channel from
a sound card device to one file, and the right channel to another
file? Thereby resulting in two mono sound files. I suppose this is
driver dependent... Currently it seems like the -f option can only
specify mono or stereo (-f:16,1,44100 or -f:16,2,44100). Can we choose
which channel is used for mono? (eg. a future planned feature)

2. I am having a lot of trouble getting clean tracks when multitracking
(e.g., playing 2 or three sound files, and recording another from a
sound card). There appear a lot of clicks and pops during the tracks
even though the first 20-30 seconds may sound perfect. Sometimes I
don't hear any problems during the actually tracking (recording) and the
problem only comes up when I play all the tracks back. I am setting a
buffer of 64 (-b:64) during recording and 1024 during playback. There
don't appear to be any timing problems. My question is: does this
sound like a buffer issue or is there some other problem (e.g., not
enough CPU power available)? My machine is a PII/350MHz/128MB with RH
Linux 6.1. Does encoding mp3's on the fly with lame (or decodeing with
mpg123) use up more of the CPU than just using wav files?

3. I am very interested in being able to loop one chain (e.g., playback
4 sec of a sound file over and over) while other chains keep playing
straight through. eg, have a two bar drum loop and record guitar or
vocals over it. I don't think this is now possible with the -t and -tl
options or loop devices. Are there plans for such a feature?

Thanks,

Neil

P.S. Sorry that this is so many questions at once. Next time I'll do
one question at a time.

Neil E. Klepeis, School of Public Health, UC Berkeley, USA
http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~nklepeis
http://eetd.lbl.gov/ied/era/exposuremodeling/
nklepeis@uclink4.berkeley.edu
510-848-5827