[ecasound] a new effect preset system

Subject: [ecasound] a new effect preset system
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 01:56:44 EET

I'm glad to announce the first beta version of ecasound's new effect
preset system. I'll update the CVS right away. It's still very, very
beta, but I'd like to get some help in testing, comments and wishes.
My aim was to make a simple and efficient system for creating
multi-chain presets, and I think I got pretty close. As usual,
presets are implemented on the library level, so all ecasound apps can
use them. Ok, here's some documentation:

=========
--> ecasound(1):

PRESETS

Ecasound has a powerful effect preset system that allows you create
new effects by combining basic effects and controllers. See ecasound
user's guide for more detailed information.

-pf:preset_file.eep
     Use the first preset found from file 'preset_file.eep' as a chain operator.

-pn:preset_name
     Find preset 'preset_name' from global preset database and use it
as a chain operator. See ecasoundrc(5) for info about the preset database.

=========
--> ecasound user's guide:

3.6: Effect presets

Ecasound has a powerful effect preset system that allows you create
new effects by combining basic effects and controllers.

Presets can be stored into separate files or they can be stored into a
global database. Either way, the preset format is the same (also see
ecasoundrc(5) man page, the same parsing engine is used):

preset_name = effects controllers | ... | effects controllers

Effects and controllers are specified using the same format as used in
command-line parsing (-ea:100, -kl:1,0,100,5, etc). You can add a new
chain using the pipe characher '|'. '\' sign is used to continue
preset definition on the next line.

=========
--> simple examples from /usr/local/share/ecasound/effect_presets

# Bathroom reverb
reverb1 = -etr:40,0,85
# A lowpass filter controlled by a sine oscillator
filter1 = -ef3:800,1.5,0.9 -kos:1,400,4200,0.2,0
# Compressor presets
compress_supersoft = -eca:0.69,0,0.25,0.25
compress_soft = -eca:0.69,0,0.25,0.5
# Filtering
high_and_low = -efl:400 | -efh:4000 -ea:800

... and so on.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux multitrack audio processing