Re: [ecasound] I think this has been asked before ... but ...

Subject: Re: [ecasound] I think this has been asked before ... but ...
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Jan 13 2000 - 15:46:44 EET

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Jeremy Hall wrote:

> If you right-shift the left channel by a factor of say 50%, then move it
> back, you end up with zeros on the "right" side of the left channel.

Unfortunately panning doesn't work this way. It simply controls the
relative amplitude of two channels (left and right). When some audio
elements is present on both channels, it appers to be on center.
So to get rid of the center you need get rid of shared parts.
One way to do is to invert the phase of one channel and then combine.
In the resulting mono-file, shared parts are cancelled out.

> I want to remove his signal, yet preserve the rest with a band filter,
> except the band is not frequency related, rather it is a scale between 0
> and 100, 0 being left, and 100 being right. so on this scale, if something
> represents a 50, I want to remove it. With a center freq of 50, and a

Hmm, I understand what you mean. It won't be easy to implementing
the 0-100 parameter.

--
Kai Vehmanen <kaiv@wakkanet.fi> -------- CS, University of Turku, Finland
 . http://www.wakkanet.fi/ecasound/ - linux audio processing