Re: [ecasound] 1.6.x development info

Subject: Re: [ecasound] 1.6.x development info
arto@slayground.yok.utu.fi
Date: Sun Oct 24 1999 - 12:53:16 EEST

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Kai Vehmanen wrote:

> Here's some info about current development:
>
> 1. interactive-mode/library interface change
>
> I've spent a lot of time on this, and it's slowly getting
> ready. It's been really hard to keep the interface intuitive.
> I'd like to hear some comments on this design. For instance,
> here's a few i-active mode commands:
>
> c_select some_chain_name // - select some chain (from currently
> // selected chainsetup)
> co_add -efb:1000,500 // - add a chain operator: bandpass filter
> // added chainop is now selected
> co_add_controller -kos:1,50,500,0.5,0.0

It could be a good idea to use hyphens instead of underlines in
command names, so we wouldn't waste those precious microsecs
pressing shift.

> cop_select 2 // - select chainop's 2nd parameter
> // (filter width, in Hz)
> cop_set 500 // - change parameter value to 500

`cop-set 2, 500' and the like might be nice.

> ... and so on. I've tried to use the command-line syntax whenever
> possible. This should make iactive-mode easier to use.

How about direct command-line commands? Like just writing -foo:1,2,3
at the (ecasound) prompt without preceding blah_blah_blah commands.

> surround reverbs and other multichannel effects to chains as usual.
> If you connect these effects to mono channels, they won't work of
> course, but this shouldn't be a problem. If you connect a mono-effect

What actually would happen? Strange sounds? Segfault? Mysterious
corruption of unmounted drives?

,' Arto Hamara * artham@utu.fi * http://slayground.yok.utu.fi/ ,-'