Re: [ecasound] Cutting with ecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Cutting with ecasound?
From: Jeremy Hall (jhall@uu.net )
Date: Wed Sep 29 1999 - 15:11:37 EEST

We need a better way of doing this than seconds=integers

My thoughts were that you could do:

set units=hours:minutes:seconds:sectors

now the parser expects 23:31:13:70 (for almost 14)

so like
set pos=0:0:0:0

means start at the beginning

set pos=150

same as typing set pos=2:0 (remember that there are 75 sectors (2352
bytes) in a second)

A mode should be invented so that merging audio does not result in a snap
where the two wave forms meet. I can get better precision with dd now
than ecasound, and I'd like to fix that--I don't really like having to
write down sector offsets into a file to clip out some data.

units could be hours, minutes, seconds, sectors, blocks, or samples.

The user could type

set units=hours,minutes,seconds,sectors,samples

now he can separate with a comma rather than a colon if he chooses. a .
character is an invalid separator because it would be confusing.

If sectors is used, warnings should exist if data does not make a sector
boundary, but sectors are not fine enough in precision if you are trying
to edit, thus the need for blocks or samples. blocks=588 bytes, giving you
4 times as many sectors per second. Maybe you could say something like

set bs=4sectors that way you can set the grandularity how you want it.

just a thought.

_J