Re: [ecasound] Cutting with ecasound?

Subject: Re: [ecasound] Cutting with ecasound?
From: Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
Date: Thu Sep 23 1999 - 10:30:30 EEST

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Mario Lang wrote:

> Can I do extracting of time-pieces with ecasound
> something like:
> ecasound -a:1 -i -start:0,3,18 -stop:1,56,40 somefile.wav
[...]
> Is something planned?

Currently no. Gates can be used to select signal ranges, but
they won't alter signal length (when gate is closed, signal gets
muted).

Anyway, this feature will definitely be added to 1.6.x (if not
earlier). The hard part once again is designing a usable
interface. With only one chain, the above works nicely, but with
more complex setups it gets harder. I've been thinking about
supporting this through regions. You could define separate regions
for different chains. In addition to cutting certain ranges, these
could also be used to trigger effects (turn on filtering at
01:10:15 and disable it 10 seconds later ... etc).

--
 Kai Vehmanen (kaiv@wakkanet.fi)
 Webmaster, Wakkanet Oy