Re: [ecasound] pops artifacts when using -erc:1,2 and -epp

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvlists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2018 - 19:07:32 EEST

Hi,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018, Joel Nash wrote:

> Running the the command:
> ecasound -i file.wav -o alsa
> plays back a my mono file fine, but panned to the far left by default i guess?
> so I've used:
> ecasound -i file.wav -erc:1,2 -epp:50 -o alsa
> to centre the signal (which it has) but theres lots of popping and clicking going on, why is this?

that should work and you can also drop the "-epp:50" and just use:

ecasound -i file.wav -erc:1,2 -o alsa

To debug, you can try following:

1) Write to a stereo file and play it back (or look at it with some audio
editor).

ecasound -i file.wav -erc:1,2 -o stereo.wav
ecasound -i stereo.wav -erc:1,2 -o alsa

2) Use '-ev' to see if there are clipped samples

ecasound -i file.wav -erc:1,2 -o alsa -ev

If peak amplitude (reported at end of run) stays below 1.0, you
should not hear pops because of the file content.

You can try increasing buffering towards ALSA output (this should be
rarely needed, usually ecasound will guess right settings for you):

ecasound -i file.wav -erc:1,2 -o alsa -B:rt -b:1024

Br, Kai