Re: [ecasound] Multiple little wav files, played when the user chooses

From: Peter Billam <pjb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 05 2017 - 01:40:50 EET

Greetings. Thanks for your replies.

Jeanette wrote:
> you can play things in a loop, that would restrict the playback
> to certain times. You could work with an ea-effect on all the
> chains and raising the volume of the desired chain, when it is
> chosen and the start of the input comes round.

Is there a way of being told when the start of the input
comes round, or it just down to knowing how long the loop is
and taking integer multiples of that ?

Another way would be to put the .wav files together into the notes
of an SF2 SoundFont, and play them with timidity or fluidsynth.
The SF2 format is a bit off-purpose, but it could be coerced.
Or using Gravis .pat files (with timidity) might be simpler.

All of these feel a bit artificial; the multiple-processes
approach seems like the easiest to get working.
I could keep the processes running and send signals to them
to avoid avoid process-startup latency, if that was an issue.

Applications could be eg: sound effects for an stage-show
(telephone, doorbell, passing car, dog bark etc)
or audio messages for an houseful of Internet-of-Things things,
or improvising electronic music, with various sine-tones and
sound-effects fading in and out...

Thanks,
Peter Billam

PS Indeed, chainsetup! not chainset: chainsetup, chainsetup.

http://www.pjb.com.au pj@email-addr-hidden (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle." -- Richard Feynman
  from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949