[ecasound] Multiple little wav files, played when the user chooses

From: Peter Billam <pjb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 04 2017 - 04:47:21 EET

Greetings.

I'm a relative newbie to ecasound, but I've done several Perl and
Lua modules, many of them music-realated, and I've just written
a Lua interface to the functions in libecasoundc/ecasoundc.h
I mean why should Perl and Python programmers have all the fun ?
   http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/lua/ecasound.html
   https://luarocks.org/modules/peterbillam/ecasound
So now I'm dreaming of things I can do with it...

man ecasound-iam says:
   ai-attach, ao-attach
   Attaches the currently selected audio object to all selected chains.
So I can imagine a toy app which takes a dozen or so little .wav files
each connected to its own chain, with a dozen little buttons that
the user can push to play the corresponding .wav file.
This means that after being played, that chain would have to rewind
somehow, or its audio input could be disconnected and reconnected,
or the chain would have to be liquidated and a new one created.

But ai-rewind, c-add, ai-attach and c-clear all disconnect and
reconnect the whole chainset, thus interrupting any other .wav
files which happen to be playing at the time.
Is there a way of playing a .wav file repeatedly, when desired,
without invoking one of these chainset-disconnecting commands ?

Hope this makes sense :-)

Regards, Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au pj@email-addr-hidden (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle." -- Richard Feynman
  from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949