Re: [ecasound] Working with multiple engines

From: Raphaël Mouneyres <rmouneyres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2015 - 17:32:13 EEST

> So, I wonder, of those who already use Ecasound, would you
> have interest in or a use-case for a system that would
> manage the configuration, routing, effects and life-cycle of
> multiple ecasound processes?

Yes I do !

I've doing something similar in my astrux project, with multiple instances of ecasound OR non-mixer.
A typical setup looks like the attached patchage example, with one engine for each of the :
- drums mixer
- inputs mixer
- audio file player
- external fx routing
- bus out mixer
I use several instances so I can add or remove tracks (chains) on the fly without other tracks being disconnected while audio is going through.
In this situation, the main advantage of nonmixer is you can add/remove tracks without restarting the whole "chain" setup.
So i mainly use ecasound for the audiofile players and recorder (if needed).

Another thing I noticed with several instances of ecasound, is there is a significant memory/cpu overhead when using small track counts in multiple instances, compared to a single instance with all the tracks in it.

Raphaël