Re: [ecasound] fifo pipe as input

From: Pierre Lorenzon <devel@email-addr-hidden-nageoire.net>
Date: Sun Jun 29 2014 - 15:49:00 EEST

Hi,

I have unfortunately no solution to this problem but I know
that I tried similar things and never get them work. For
instance I'd like to play cdparanoia or cdda2wav output with
ecasound through a fifo but never get it work even if it
perfectly works with play or aplay. I wonder if it is not a
question of fifo filling. Ecasound probably does tests that
other tools does not and if the fifo is not filled enough by
the tool in front of ecasound the latter think that it cannot
play it.

I suspect that the solution would be to implement a special
input class for fifos that would be less strict with respect to
the buffering. Indeed the output quality might be bad if the
fifo is not filled fast enough to provide something to be
played by ecasound. I suspect that ecasound that want to
provide high quality plaing does not allow such things. Anyway
ecasound could certainly be hacked to allow the user to have
less quality but be able to play through a fifo.

Anway I am maybe completely wrong. I am not an ecasound
develpper even if I carefully investigated the code. But I did
not focus on these buffering questions.

Regards

Pierre