[ecasound] independent jack-client chains

From: Raphaël Mouneyres <rmouneyres@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 - 13:51:32 EEST

Hello,

I'd like to know if it would be possible for ecasound to evolve with a
new "independent jack-client chains" option ?

Let me explain why and what it is about :
When discussing with Joel for nama live use, we came with the idea to
use multiple ecasound engine so "always connected" audio routes would
go to one always running engine, and "dynamic routes" to another
engine which can be started and stopped with transport.
The goal is to be able to reconfigure the dynamic engine with a new
chainsetup, without having the always running engine disconnected, and
so a smooth audio transition.
But you need to deal with two engine, and while it is working, it
could be convenient to have only one ecasound engine.

Then, working on my Astrux tool, i've finally found non-mixer to be
very usefull.
Non-mixer engine has the concept of "strips" which is somewhat the
same as "chains" in ecasound. Each of those strips run as a single
thread AND independent jack-client. It means you can add and delete
strips on the fly while the mixer is running, no need to reconfigure
the whole engine.

Applied to ecasound, this could mean :
a chain could have a "permanent" attribute so that it is always
running once created, and you can't modify its endpoints until the
ecasound process is finished, or a new chainsetup loaded.

I'm really not aware of how the ecasound code is structured, so my
question is really from a user point of view. Is there a chance that
ecasound could support this ?

Raphaël
http://rmouneyres.free.fr