Re: [ecasound] constant monitoring, occasional recording

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2014 - 19:56:09 EEST

Hi Peter,

Peter Long wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am a new, inexperienced user of eca - please bear with me!
>
> We are using (an ever so slightly modified version of) ecasignalview (which we have renamed to monitor) to constantly monitor some channels on a couple of sound cards in a CentOS 6 machine. We are using alsa and the following (essentially ecasignalview) command to run the monitor:
>
> monitor -f:32,2,44100 alsa,CRD1-DIG
>
> This runs constantly because part of the requirement for our UI is to display some sort of visual representation of the input signal at all times.
>
> Occasionally, we would like to record and issue the following command to do so:
>
> ecasound -t:30 -a:1 -b:256 -f:16,2,44100 -i:alsa,CRD1-DIG -o:dig.wav
>
> However, this runs into the "can't run ecasignalview and ecasound at the same time" problem for which I can find no solution; does one exist?

The only solution I'm aware of for this problem is to
use JACK. jackd runs as a daemon, using only a couple
percent of your CPU, and would sit between the ALSA
device and your Ecasound instances.

I believe this will work (not tested):

jackd -d alsa -A CRD1-DIG -r 44100

monitor -f:32,2,44100 jack,system

ecasound -t:30 -a:1 -f:32,2,44100 -i:jack,CRD1-DIG -f:16,2,44100 -o:dig.wav

Regards,

Joel

--
Joel Roth