Re: [ecasound] audio drops on cop-set tcp commands

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 29 2014 - 03:49:56 EET

On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 11:04:58PM +0100, raf wrote:
> I'm totally opened to the fact that this is something with my config not being ok. For now only the midi is saving my day.

At least routing the commands via MIDI, you avoid the worst
artifacts.

> Still when changing values with big step lead to glitches in the audio... so i'm still afraid to use in on the live PA.

I'm curious how other DAWs deal with this, because IIUC, the
pop is a consequence of the sudden change in gain multiplier
when the parameter change command is received, which creates
a square edge full of harmonics.

If that is correct, all digital mixers must all have some
cleverness wrapped around the volume and pan controls...
I think the technical term is rate-of-change damping.

I've posted a question on the LAD mailing list.

For your situation, what I can imagine is using mididings
to convert MIDI vol/pan control inputs to Nama vol/pan commands.

On receiving a command to increase the volume, Nama will
start an iterator that boosts the volume by acceptable
stepsize (I think around 1 dB) at a rate of about 100 steps/second.

If another volume command is received for the same volume
effect while the iterator is active, the endpoint will be
updated, and the direction of changed updated if necessary.

I wonder if there could exist a LADSPA gain plugin that provides
this damping.

Regards,

Joel

> Raphaël
>
> Le 28 janv. 2014 à 22:44, Joel Roth a écrit :
>
> > On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 01:06:39PM +0100, Raphael Mouneyres wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> i'l modify my code to try to use those commands instead, and measure
> >> what difference it makes.
> >
> >> Yesterday, i made a shift in the code : translate the received OSC
> >> messages to the midi controllers defined in the km... and everything
> >> is smooth and perfect. Even at lowest latencies.
> >>
> >> So i'll do more tests tonight with the copp-set instead of cop-set.
> >
> > I doubt it will matters. They are equivalent, I'm sure.
> >
> > Many times over the years that I've been convinced that
> > Ecasound is at fault, I've either been wrong, or there's
> > been a workaround.... or Kai has fixed a bug or
> > added a feature. :-)
> >
> > Nama tries to help you so nothing ever happens
> > that you would blame Ecasound ;-)
> >
> > Joel
> >
> >> Raphaël
> >
> > --