[ecasound] Ecasound wishlist: half are solved by Nama

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Dec 16 2013 - 02:31:39 EET

Hi List,

Looking through Ecasound bug list[1] out of curiosity,
I see that using Nama[2] solves about half of the open
requests. FWIW, I'm listing and commenting them below.

Thanks, Kai, for continuing to support Ecasound
and the community/ecosystem around it.

Regarding Nama, most regular users having been building
from source, however I expect to do a release
to CPAN for installation with command-line perl clients
such as cpan or cpanm.

Cheers,

Joel

Bug Description Date
35 Separate file format for multitrack setups (.emt) 2008-09-28

Nama handles housekeeping of multitrack setups

32 Addition of "bus" concept 2008-09-28

Several types of buses are implemented in Nama.
Sequences in Nama are a subclass of Buses.

31 Timestamped EIAM commands 2008-09-28

Used internally by Nama.

29 Addition of position markers 2008-09-28

Nama has named marks that are used for transport
control as well as for defining fades and regions.

27 Better checks for parsing operator arguments 2008-09-28

Nama's command grammar does this.

20 Adding a 'loop x times' option to the ewf file format 2008-09-28

Possible in Nama using sequences.

17 Multi-command sequences in interactive mode 2008-09-27

Nama's grammar allows multiple command separated by semicolons

13 loop object with crossfade support 2008-07-06

Overlapped audio clips are possible using
Nama sequences. A crossfade can be made
using two conventional fades.

12 Ability to add description tags to objects 2008-03-09

Nama has track and version comments, also the ability to
tag/describe/reload any snapshot in the project history.

8 EIAM: add cs-reload command 2006-01-26
Nama manages engine setup, teardown, and reload

40 LASH support 2009-01-27

Nama has minimal LASH support (respond to USR1 signal)
however it appears LASH hasn't been widely adopted.

33 Ability to split recording output into multiple files 2008-09-28

I assume this refers to splitting live recordings. This is
scriptable in Nama, although there would be gap at each
split. A long file can be split using marks to define
regions, then caching (freezing/bouncing) each region.

1. http://sourceforge.net/p/ecasound/bugs/

2. https://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html

--
Joel Roth