Re: [ecasound] ecasound for live band

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 23 2013 - 12:58:52 EEST

Hello Raphaël!
   First a word on Nama and scripting and then on the loop device. You can sort
of script Nama, it will read scripted commands, but it will still need a
keyboard entry to set it going, which you could do via ssh, if that is
convenient enough. About the rest we'll talk maybe somewhere off-list first
and then on Nama.
   Why loop devices instead of more Ecasound instances? First it's a little
easier to manage, there only being one Ecasound and you can introduce more
complex routing at any time, when you need it. You'll have guaranteed sync
with one Ecasound and you'd have less demand on the CPU, there only being one
engine and one times the general overhead of Ecasound. It isn't much perhaps,
but it should account for something. Now loop devices do introduce a small bit
of latency, I can't remember the formula, but in a setup suited to realtime
work, this is no bother, having encountered that latency with Nama/Ecasound
setups for ages now, I can vouche for that. :-)
   If you are looking for a specific property in your setup, that I haven't
touched upon, let us know and we'll see, if loops are still the way to go.
   Warm regards
         Julien

Music, creative writing, technical information:
http://juliencoder.de/