Re: [ecasound] torture-testing -z:nodb scenarios

From: linux media 4 <linuxmedia4@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 21 2012 - 22:25:03 EEST

On 05/25/2012 11:38 PM, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> a real-time audio program needs to process audio at a fixed rate.
[CUT]
> Factors that contribute to the non-determinism of disk seeks:
[CUT]
> Now ecasound may work flawlessly even with -z:nodb, but this is always
> system and use-case specific. So while this may be good enough in some
> cases, I'd still strongly recommend defaulting to -z:db when targeting
> the general case (versus a single, specific tested system).
[CUT]

Thanks for the comprehensive information on this subject.

I will create radio buttons in my program for the User to select from a
range of buffer sizes. What would be the lowest and highest value I
would want to use for the first and last button, and what increments do
you think these buttons should be in?

My goal is to offer the most precise control over double buffering so
they can get the best performance for their particular setup and usage.

Many thanks for this great software that keeps us motivated to expand.

Rocco