Re: [ecasound] Multiband dynamics processing

From: S. Massy <lists@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 18 2012 - 23:56:48 EEST

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:21:37AM -0700, William Goldsmith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has put together a chain setup to do multiband
> compression/limiting, similar to the sox mcompand function? I know that
> ecasound contains all of the necessary bits & pieces, but I've never worked
> with the ecasound bandpass filters & don't want to reinvent anything if I
> don't have to.
If all you want to do is multiband compression, you might consider the
MDA MultiBand compressor LV2 plugin along with the latest release of
ecasound with LV2 support. If you're looking for custom application you
will unfortunately have to roll your own. Here is a reply I got on LAU
on how to best implement crossovers using LADSPA filters.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-audio-users/msg84861.html&sa=U&ei=XCEHUL3XC-Pe0QG7t4TBCA&ved=0CBUQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFLBoITtdmpYmtVgWUtJeQi5YZNYQ

As others have pointed out, the ecasound implementation of Nama's
mastering chain is a perfect example towards achieving this.

All in all, I do not think this is achievable in ecasound without using
some form of external plugins, either LADSPA or LV2, but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
S.M.