Re: [ecasound] ecasound 2.9.0rc1

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 28 2012 - 00:06:44 EEST

Hi,

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Julien Claassen wrote:

> You are right, start-sync is not worth it. But what happens, if the engine
> gets the start command? Will it be notified of that immediately? If so,
> could there perhaps be a status waiting in addition to stoppend and running?

that's a good point. A "prefill/preroll/preparing" state indeed exist
inside the engine, but is not published to clients at the moment. This is
also a bit complicated as actions done in this state (filling disk i/o
buffers), are something done also while already running (e.g. someone
makes a live seek to a new position in some other transport-aware JACK
application). So this forks of to yet another
running-but-not-quite-running state. There's also the draining state
nowadays (= running has stopped but existing buffers are still played out
so audio is not cut off), and this is not published either.

The "finished" state itself is a variant of "stopped" already (stopped due
to an end-of-stream condition), but as it is so old and part of legacy, it
has been kept. But nowadays I do feel "started" and "stopped" is a pretty
good abstraction level in the end.

> It's nothing major, just a question of beauty. I like beautiful things.

As for beatiful things, one thing I'd like to add is a new async event
queue from engine to (multiple) clients. By subscribing to these events,
any UI/app could get an accurate view of the engine state, and races
inherent to multiple controllers, could be handled elegantly (event stream
would show what actually happened, and the exact order of events. So
basicly closer to a more clean ModelViewController type of design.

But as often is the case, path towards beauty can be a long one. Just
for the ECI APIs, this would be a fairly big change.