Re: [ecasound] control oscillator samplerates?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 22 2012 - 19:29:05 EEST

Hi,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, James Mckernon wrote:

> I was wondering at what rate the -kos oscillators are sampled and their
> values applied to effects? Is this once per block? I ask as I found that
> using an oscillator to modulate, for example, the length of delay on a
> delay effect leads to some nasty scratchy-sounding artefacts, perhaps to
> do with the control oscillator being sampled at a lower rate than the

yup, you guessed right, it is sampled once per engine iteration. There's
no short term plans of addressing this, so the practical fix for now is to
just use a smaller block size (-b). Some chainops (in practise LADSPA or
LV2 plugins) may do parameter smoothing, but this is not implemented in
ecasound's own internal chainops.