Re: [ecasound] Bug report: strange crash

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 22:38:05 EEST

Hi,

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012, Joel Roth wrote:

> I note that ecasound-iam(1) for my version of Ecasound (2.8.1)
> does not list cop-add and cop-remove as non-realtime (see
> quoted text below).
[...]
> trol objects that belong to a connected chainsetup. Commands that do NOT
> support this are:

... note the "NOT" in the man page text above. :) So the list in the man
page is a blacklist, i.e. the listed commands (like cop-remove) are _not_
real-time safe.

> Perhaps there are others as well? For example, I know
> that Nama needs to wrap cs-set-position in a stop/start
> when running Ecasound under JACK.

That's a different thing. In JACK, reposition during playback,
and repositioning while stopped, are two different operations. With
Ecasound+JACK, result of 'cs-set-position' will be different based on
whether the engine is running or not.

In practical terms, slow clients (clients like ecasound that need to do
disk i/o), may not be able to catch up immediately to the new position to
the new location (and you miss some audio on those JACK inputs). In
multitrack recording type of use, you will usually want to reposition
while stopped to make sure all clients are ready to play.