Re: [ecasound] What is the purpose of AUDIO_IO_DEVICE::io_mode == io_readwrite?

From: Kai Vehmanen <kvehmanen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2011 - 16:55:48 EEST

Hi,

On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Lorenz Minder wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding the io_mode for an audio device: What is
> the purpose of the io_readwrite mode? I was assuming that devices

it's analogous to "w+" mode of fopen. Quoting fopen man page:
""w+: Open for reading and writing. The file is created if it does not
exist, otherwise it is truncated. The stream is positioned at the
beginning'of the file.""

Simiarly io_write is similar to "w" mode, i.e. the output is always
truncated.

> So what is the purpose if io_readwrite in that context, and how is a
> device supposed to handle that?

The main use case for io_readwrite is the ability to open file outputs in
update mode (e.g. to replace only portions of a recording, or continue
recording at the end of an existing file).