Re: [ecasound] ecasound and PulseAudio problems

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 04:43:14 EEST

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 12:31 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 04:33:13PM -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> > On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > > The commandline you posted was still wrong, it should have been:
> > > ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i resample,22050,ghostrider.mp3 -o
> > > jack,system
> >
> > This works - ever other time I use it, and exits without playing and
> > with no error message every other time. Interesting .... I should
> > perhaps report a bug somewhere.
>
> Hi Lindsay,
>
> My condolences about having PA on your system. :-)

Thanks, 'preciated :-) Kinda can't help it thanks to the "wisdom" of
the Canonical Partners.

> Being ignorant about the low-level stuff, I don't
> see why PA wasn't designed to be just another signal source to
> ALSA or JACK.

I wish I knew more about the topology of Linux sound software
archetecture. Maybe O'Reilly has a book ....

> For troubleshooting, I wonder if you might get reliable
> sound by playing back a .wav file instead of an .mp3, which
> requires an external process.

Yes, .wav files are more reliably played than .mp3 files. The issue is
that I have to deal with .mp3 files as a routine matter on a regular
basis, and converting them to .wav files is not only a PITA, but
obscures the fact that mp3 compression is inherently lossy, and then
reconverting them int .mp3 files doesn't restore the lost quality. I
didn't used to have to jump through hoops to play mp3 files. I don't
want to start doing it now, if it can be avoided.

> As chief stirrer of Nama's codebase (mmm... chocolate!), I
> can say that it does simplify recording and playback
> compared to barenaked Ecasound at the cost of a bit of extra setup.

It sounds like Nama is something I need to look into :-) Thanks. I'll
do it.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "We have met the enemy, and it is us."
FMP Computer Services |