Re: [ecasound] ecasound and PulseAudio problems

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 02 2011 - 01:31:01 EEST

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 04:33:13PM -0500, Lindsay Haisley wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> > The commandline you posted was still wrong, it should have been:
> > ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i resample,22050,ghostrider.mp3 -o
> > jack,system
>
> This works - ever other time I use it, and exits without playing and
> with no error message every other time. Interesting .... I should
> perhaps report a bug somewhere.

Hi Lindsay,

My condolences about having PA on your system. :-)

Being ignorant about the low-level stuff, I don't
see why PA wasn't designed to be just another signal source to
ALSA or JACK.

For troubleshooting, I wonder if you might get reliable
sound by playing back a .wav file instead of an .mp3, which
requires an external process.

As chief stirrer of Nama's codebase (mmm... chocolate!), I
can say that it does simplify recording and playback
compared to barenaked Ecasound at the cost of a bit of extra setup.

In general, Nama is reasonably convenient for multitrack
recording. One of its newer capabilities might benefit your
work: although it hasn't been highly tested, recent code
allows for re-recording of phrases or flubbed notes.

Cheers and welcome

Joel

--
Joel Roth