Re: [ecasound] ecasound and PulseAudio problems

From: Lindsay Haisley <fmouse@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2011 - 23:14:21 EEST

On Fri, 2011-07-01 at 21:20 +0200, Julien Claassen wrote:
> Hello Lindsay!
> The commandline you posted was still wrong, it should have been:
> ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i resample,22050,ghostrider.mp3 -o jack,system

Ah! Success!!! Now I know what you mean by a "resample object". I
hadn't fully read the man page, or had forgotten some of what I read
(it's LONG!).

> It's not perfect, depending on your Ecasound version and the resample
> library, but nowadays it's OK. I see some warnings, since the MP3 is opened
> with some external program (mpg321 or mpg123) in the background, but I managed
> to do it.
> You can create other devices in your .asoundrc. Probably something like:
> pcm.my_play
> {
> type plug
> slave "hw:0,0"
> }

This gives me "Invalid argument" - probably an error in the code, but
I'll research it. Using -o:alsa,hw:0,0 with ecasound plays the file,
but at double-speed.

> Or a s a slave try "pcm.!default". Not sure if this will work, but it might.
> If you try to google "PulseAudio and xrun" you might get much more results
> than you really want. :-)

About 16,000, but still helpful :-)

> You might try to subscribe to the Linux Audio Users
> list
> http://lists.linuxaudio.org
> They are quite good, to the point and very knowledgeable. They've certainly
> helpd me a great deal in the 11 years, that I've been there. :-)

I just subscribed to LinuxMusicians. I try the list you suggest, too.

> I remember,
> reading a few thing about PA at some point. It's not Ecasound's fault there,
> it's the setup.

That sounds logical.

> Other than that, just try to stick with jack, don't set the period size too
> low, since it will increase xruns (128 on my system 2gHz CPU no graphics AT
> ALL!), maybe 256. It's very durable and you'll always be in sync when
> recording.

This is currently set to 16. I haven't seen any xruns, but I'll keep
this in mind.

> You might also try Nama, it might be easier as a frontend. It's tex based as
> well. The interface "looks" similar" but has more high-level features. The
> standard mastering setup also includes a LADSPA 4-band parametric equaliser.
> If you fnd a better/different LADPA plugin it will be easy to put in there. So
> for single track sessions you will be covered from the start and for others,
> you can add the EQ yourself, which is easy. The debian package for the EQ is
> called fil-plugins, should be the same under Ubuntu.

Thanks for these tips. I'd like to find some reading material - online
or off - that would help me get my head around and grok the topology and
terminology of Linux sound processing. I've had a lot of studio
experience, have wired patchbays, done non-musical programming, so I'm
not without a clue here, but I'm really not very familiar with how all
the pieces fit together when it comes to Linux audio signal processing.

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Fighting against human creativity is like
FMP Computer Services |   trying to eradicate dandelions"