Re: [ecasound] ecasound and PulseAudio problems

From: Julien Claassen <julien@email-addr-hidden-lab.de>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2011 - 22:20:21 EEST

Hello Lindsay!
   The commandline you posted was still wrong, it should have been:
ecasound -f:16,2,44100 -i resample,22050,ghostrider.mp3 -o jack,system
   It's not perfect, depending on your Ecasound version and the resample
library, but nowadays it's OK. I see some warnings, since the MP3 is opened
with some external program (mpg321 or mpg123) in the background, but I managed
to do it.
   You can create other devices in your .asoundrc. Probably something like:
pcm.my_play
{
   type plug
   slave "hw:0,0"
}
   Or a s a slave try "pcm.!default". Not sure if this will work, but it might.
   If you try to google "PulseAudio and xrun" you might get much more results
than you really want. :-) You might try to subscribe to the Linux Audio Users
list
http://lists.linuxaudio.org
   They are quite good, to the point and very knowledgeable. They've certainly
helpd me a great deal in the 11 years, that I've been there. :-) I remember,
reading a few thing about PA at some point. It's not Ecasound's fault there,
it's the setup.
   Other than that, just try to stick with jack, don't set the period size too
low, since it will increase xruns (128 on my system 2gHz CPU no graphics AT
ALL!), maybe 256. It's very durable and you'll always be in sync when
recording.
   You might also try Nama, it might be easier as a frontend. It's tex based as
well. The interface "looks" similar" but has more high-level features. The
standard mastering setup also includes a LADSPA 4-band parametric equaliser.
If you fnd a better/different LADPA plugin it will be easy to put in there. So
for single track sessions you will be covered from the start and for others,
you can add the EQ yourself, which is easy. The debian package for the EQ is
called fil-plugins, should be the same under Ubuntu.
   Warm regards
            Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net