Re: [ecasound] Ecasound build process stuck after tests

From: Alessandro Ghedini <al3xbio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2011 - 15:50:37 EEST

On Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 11:40:23PM +0300, Kai Vehmanen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2011, Alessandro Ghedini wrote:
>
> >>ok, this is really interesting. Could you send me the config.h file
> >>from a machine where ecasound hangs here (maybe in a private mail
> >
> >Sent.
>
> Ok, this looks ok, so e.g. the standard pthread interfaces are
> correctly detected, available and in use.
>
> >>Hmm, I have one idea what could happen (and a fix), but it'll take a
> >>few days before I have time to put together a patch for testing.
> >
> >No hurry.
>
> Ok, here's a snapshot with some changes:
> http://ecasound.seul.org/download/snapshots/ecasound-2.7.2+dev-20110401.tar.gz
>
> Let me know if this solves the problem and I'll clean up the changes
> and make a proper git commit. So far I've not been able to reproduce
> this myself, so testing help is much appreciated.

Unfortunately the problem is still there :/

> Basicly this snapshot adds a new synchronization point guaranteeing
> watchdog thread starts to run before anything else happens. This is
> actually a case that was supposed to be handled already in current
> codebase, but perhaps that mechanism has a bug...

Maybe a quick and dirty solution would be to simply not create the watchdog
thread when it is not needed (e.g. for the various --version, --help and
similar options). Not sure how much work would be needed (or if it will
actually resolve the issue) though.

> PS Can you reproduce this only with stresstest.rb or perhaps
> just by running "ecasound --version"...?

Just running "ecasound --version" (or "--help") works as well. What I do is
simply running the command several times until it gets stuck.

Cheers

--
perl -E'$_=q;$/= @{[@_]};and s;\S+;<inidehG ordnasselA>;eg;say~~reverse'